Open the game folder ready:
- In your Steam Game Library, find the game, right click it and click Properties.
- Click the Local files tab.
- Click the "Browse local files..." button to open up the game folder.
- Open the "DATA" folder.
Use this to improve the graphics greatly, unlock the FPS and skip the intro logos.
Before applying the mod, make sure Anti-Aliasing is turned off in game:
- Run the game and get to the Main Menu.
- Go to "PC settings".
- Highlight "Anti-Aliasing" and press Left/Right to make sure it is set to Off.
- Click (or press A) on OK.
- Quit the Game.
To apply the mod:
- Get the latest version of DSFix from the author's blog. It should be a zip file.
- Extract the zip file and copy it's files into the Dark Souls DATA folder.
- Open the DSFix.ini file (mentioned above).
- Look for
SkipIntro 0and change it to
- Look for
UnlockFPS 0and change it to
- If you use a controller and don't want to see the cursor, look for
disableCursor 0and change it to
- Save and close the file.
- Download the .zip file from the Downloads page.
- Extract the zip file and open the DSPWPackage folder.
- Copy all of it's files into the Dark Souls DATA folder.
Improve Matchmaking with friends
- In the Steam window at the top left, click Steam -> Settings.
- Click the Downloads tab.
- Under "Download Region", change it to a LAN Event server, like "LAN Event (Europe)" (or USA/Asia if that is nearer). Make sure your friends are in the same region.
- Click OK.
When running the game, you will see a note in the top left of how many nodes you are connected to which can be useful to see if it is working. If your game crashes or you quit via Alt+F4, you may be penalised and not able to connect to a friend for approx. 10 minutes.